Monday, June 26, 2017

Dave Morrison Spotlight





What genre do you write?
I write across genres: middle-grade adventure; Urban Fantasy; Memoir and LGBT suspense.  I've always wanted to write one of every genre.

Which actress/actor would you like seeing play the lead in your book?
LOL!  For the Urban Fantasy, I really want Michelle Pfeiffer to play Eleanor of the Acquataine.  For my LGBT, I've always envisioned Ellen Bernstein as Mrs Jeremy.

What type of books do you read?
I go through phases. Right now, I'm reading a lot of romance, as my next book is a romance set in Seattle.  But I enjoy creative non-fiction, fantasy and humour

Any favourite authors?
Kat Richardson (The Greywalker Series) is one of my favourites.  I also like Janet Evanovich for her sick sense of humour.

Do you think that book covers are important?
     They are the first thing your readers are going to see.  They should be eye-catching, yet show something about the book - maybe a scene from the book, a character or something that represents the story our readers are in for.   For TRAVELS WITH PENNY, getting the colours of the rainbow were important, as most people know the "Rainbow Flag" as an LGBTQ symbol.

What is your favourite book?
Bridge Across Forever. It's a memoir by Richard Bach. It's a beautiful story.

Describe yourself in 3 words?
Eclectic.  Whimsical.  OCD. (I'm a Gemini - I'm allowed to be incongruous)

At what age were you, or what event happened, when you knew you loved writing and you were good at it?
I never knew if I was "good" at it.  All I knew was that I had these people and visions in my head and I had to get them out.  I've been writing ever since I was a kid and that's what I did: wrote down my fantasies/hopes/daydreams.  I tried to make them interesting.  Then I'd watch people read them.  That's when I learned that if a story is interesting to me, that doesn't mean it's interesting to anyone else.

Do you base your characters on real people or are they completely imagined?
80% are based on real people.  Any writer who tells you differently is probably lying.  Writers are observers. We watch and write our version of reality.

What authors have inspired you along the way?
Almost everyone: Stephen King for his story telling; David Sadaris for his humour; Kat Richardson for her use of language; many unknown indie authors for their perseverance and imagination.  I thing writers do not have the luxury of choosing inspiration - let it find us. Find it in everyday things in life.

What is your favourite quote or line from a book?
     Shakespeare:  "This above all; to thine own self-be true..."

Besides writing what do you enjoy doing?
  I have my MA in Theatre and work as an actor/director in Seattle during my spare time. I'm an avid SCUBA diver and my day job is something I'm passionate about a sign language interpreter. So even when I'm not doing something I love, I'm really doing something I love!

Do you have any signings coming up?
Yes - in August I'm at Emerald Downs for a book-fair / arts festival.  Come on by! Seattle is beautiful this time of year.

 What do you use as inspiration?

People.  I love to sit and watch people; talk to people; strike up random conversations with people at the airport or grocery store.  People's stories are MUCH more interesting than they think.  I let real life guide me.  We live in a world where people have much more in common than differences.

No comments:

Post a Comment