Monday, August 21, 2017

Catherine McGreevy Spotlight

Catherine McGreevy





What genre do you write?
I mostly write historicals and romantic suspense, one of which was just released. However right now I'm working on a couple of YA fantasies right now, which should be out by the end of this year.



Which actress/actor would you like seeing play the lead in your book?
For a movie version of my latest book, Chance's Bluff, my dream cast would be Emma Stone as Annabelle Bergman, Chris Pratt as Chance McMullen, and Henry Cavill as Ben Marlowe. That would be amazing!



What type of books do you read?
I enjoy all books, from biographies to classics to thrillers. However my very favorite genres are historicals, as long as they aren't dull and overly serious, and romantic suspense that emphasizes "suspense." I do insist on a happy ending, even if it is a bittersweet one!

Any favorite authors?
I have many favorite authors. I am trying to read more contemporary ones, of whom there are many talented new ones, such as Cindy Sample and Anna J. Stewart, but I grew up reading Mary Stewart, Elizabeth Peters, Georgette Heyer, and Elizabeth Cadell.

Do you think that book covers are important?
The cover is the first thing that causes me to pick up a book. Not only does it tell me its genre, but whether it looks interesting and if it's the type of story I might enjoy. No offense to those who like books with a shirtless man on the cover, but I usually pass them over. That's unfortunate because  there might well be a wonderful story inside. I do worry about whether my own covers successfully show what to expect. It's hard to know what works best.

What is your favorite book?
My favorite book right now is The Chosen by Chaim Potok. It is so beautifully written and has such a wonderful story about love, friendship, and sacrifice. But there are many others I love, too.

What do you use as inspiration?
My inspiration comes from daydreaming. As a child, there were always stories dancing in my head, which probably came from the books I'd been reading. Now I draw on what I've learned about history, a fascinating and inexhaustible source.

Describe yourself in 3 words?
Three words that describe me: Curious, idealistic, scatterbrained.

At what age were you, or what event happened, when you knew you loved writing and you were good at it?
When I was in seventh grade and would bang away for hours on my mother's typewriter, writing my first historical novel. I did not know anything about the past, and it was complete gobbly gook, but I believed if I typed long enough a great novel would emerge! A couple of years later, In ninth grade, my teacher at an international school in Rabat, Morocco, wrote wonderful notes on all my papers, and I won first prize in a writing contest for an article extolling the beauty and cultural offerings of Morocco. I believe it was published in the embassy newsletter or a travel magazine.

Do you base your characters on real people or are they completely imagined?
I have tried to base my characters on real people, but they always end up becoming themselves. Therefore I would have to say they are more invented than real, but there are often one or two traits that come from a real person.

What authors have inspired you along the way?
My favorite authors (see above) definitely inspired me. I would be thrilled to write as well as they did, with their cleverness and amazing way with words and characters. And my writing friends have been an endless source of inspiration and help as well. They see things I don't see in my manuscripts and make wonderful suggestions.

What is your favorite quote or line from a book?
Favorite quote from a book: “If all else fails, we will simply have to drug our attendants, overpower the guards, raise the oppressed peasants to arms, and take over the government.”

Besides writing what do you enjoy doing?
Besides writing, I enjoy reading, traveling, going to movies and the theater, and eating chocolate moose tracks ice cream!


No comments:

Post a Comment