Monday, August 7, 2017

Markie Madden Spotlight


MARKIE MADDEN


What genre do you write?
I have written in many genres, most recently releasing my first historical romance. But I also have a memoir, a self-help horse care guide, romantic fantasy, and a crime/paranormal series. I’m also working on a science fiction/time travel novel, a paranormal romance, and a political thriller. I’m a jack-of-all-trades!
Which actress/actor would you like seeing play the lead in your book?
For my last release, a historical romance set in ancient Egypt called The Pharaoh’s Destiny, my female lead would be Angelina Jolie, of course! I think they could make her skin tone match the setting well enough. 😉

I read lots of genre, everything except horror, really (I’m a cancer survivor, I’ve had enough horror in my real life). My favorite genres are mysteries or crime. I’m also a huge Star Trek fan and own most of the original Pocket Books novels.

Any favourite authors?
My favorites are Kay Hooper, Patricia Cornwell, Jean M. Auel, and J.D. Robb.

Do you think that book covers are important?
Yes, book covers are important, even with the old saying of not judging a book by its cover. Human beings do this all the time (and not just in books).


What is your favourite book?
If I had to pick, it would probably be Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M. Auel. It sparked my interest in ancient peoples and the way they lived.

What do you use as inspiration?
Depends! My crime/paranormal series was inspired by a binge-watching session of Supernatural. I am currently working on a sci-fi/time travel partially inspired by Doctor Who.

Describe yourself in 3 words?
Intelligent, driven, inspiring.

At what age were you, or what event happened, when you knew you loved writing and you were good at it?
I remember writing for the first time in 4th grade, but I wrote my first novel in high school. I remember passing sheets of notebook paper (yes, I wrote before typewriters were common in homes) around to all my friends during class (yeah, we got in trouble a time or two). They were so enthralled with the story that they couldn’t wait to read what happened next.

Do you base your characters on real people or are they completely imagined?
The lead character in my crime series is based upon myself (I worked law enforcement for 14 years, and understand the difficulty of a woman working in a field dominated by men), and several of the characters in my historical romance are based upon real historical figures.


What authors have inspired you along the way?
J.D. Robb has been a big inspiration for me as an adult, but the first books I can really remember and treasure are the Black Stallion books by Walter Farley. I was born with horse blood in my veins and his books just really spurred (pun intended) me to further that, especially as I grew older. The horse I have now I raised from a baby and trained myself, and she’s the star on the cover of my horse care guide.

What is your favourite quote or line from a book?
You want me to pick a line? From a single book? Oh, the pressure…!

Besides writing what do you enjoy doing?
I love to read (though sometimes I find it hard to find time), play with my dogs, and go for rides with my horse. I like do graphic design, not only for book covers, but photo manipulation and all sorts of things. My family likes to Cosplay (and we’ll all be present doing this at SEMOCon in September!). I also like history of ancient cultures.


Do you have any signings coming up?
I’m taking part in the Black River Book Bash on August 5, 2017 at the Black River Coliseum in Poplar Bluff, Missouri, and I’m also going to be at SEMOCon in September, also at the Black River Coliseum, September 15 and 16, 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment